lundi 19 janvier 2009

Maintentnat tu est chez toi

I have now officially been in France for four days! A lot of things have happened, but to sum up...

1. I have moved in with my host family. They are a really nice couple in their mid-50's. They're not married, but they've been together for a really long time and have traveled the world together, c'est tres adorable, n'est-ce pas? Perhaps, the biggest surprise so far is that I can actually understand them pretty well, and I think they know what I'm saying most of the time too....Overall, things have been going pretty well. Things are definetely akward, but I suppose that comes with the territory. In our orientation meeting we got this long list of french DON'Ts. Don't: ask anything too personal (i.e. love life, jobs, family situations), put your feet on the furniture, drink too much, leave any food on your plate, etc. But I'm starting to learn that many of these faux-pas don't apply to me and my host family. Regardless, it has been quite an adjustment. As far as french go, my family is definetely more relaxed, but they're still a lot more rigid them I'm used to. Martine (host mom) really likes to mother me (tell me to eat more veggies and sits me down and serves me food), which I've had a little bit of a hard time with, but this morning I made me own breakfast while she was in the shower and when she came out I told her that I'd already eaten and she told me that "Ah bon! Maintentnat tu est chez toi." And that made me feel really good :) It is slowly starting to feel more and more homey

2. As far as what I've been up to I've been exploring the city a lot with the rest of the group (LOTS of walking), I bought myself a french portable (cell phone), set up a bank account, took my language placement test, spending time with my host family and sleeping :)

3. And of course if you're reading this then you're probably one of the people I'm missing. Homesickness hasn't hit too bad yet. Of course I miss Ian beaucoup, but that is to be expected and Skype is a wonderful, wonderful thing.

More adventures so come soon....

2 commentaires:

  1. Allison!
    It's so great to hear from you! ...but what does this mean: "Ah bon! Maintentnat tu est chez toi." ...? Would you translate for the non-french literate folks like myself? I don't want to miss anything! I hope that you're having a blast. Ian told us about the friend that drank too much at dinner which we all got a kick out of. :) (that probably would've been me too if I were in her situation)
    Keep writing! We miss you!

    Ingrid

    RépondreSupprimer
  2. Allison! Je t'aime. J'espere que... oh fuck it I don't remember enough French and what I do remember keeps interfering with my Italian.
    I hope you're having a wicked rad time. I look forward to following your adventures via the interwebs.

    RépondreSupprimer